Wednesday, December 9, 2015

9th December

My Dearest Girl,

How can I apologise for my criminal neglect to write these many days?  Perhaps you will forgive me when you understand the circumstances which led to my prolonged silence.

Highwaymen.

I was beset upon by Highwaymen of the most rancorous nature imaginable! On Monday after luncheon, I took the carriage with the intention of paying a visit to the Armstrongs, but I went the long route through Martin's Wood, for I wished to collect some of the Morel Mushrooms which grow there, as you know.  I was wearing my Blue Silk, which is a shame, for that was my favourite gown.  I had come almost to the place where the mushrooms grow, when I heard a blood-curdling scream, and the carriage jolted to a stop.  The door was wrenched open, and rough hands grasped me and yanked me from the carriage.  I was in shock, My Dear, I will admit it.  I had been quite incapacitated before I knew what was happening, and the Ruffians dragged me through the wood - no doubt toward their Awful Lair.  But then, though my hands were secured behind my back, my years of practise asserted themselves and I succeeded in thwarting my attackers by use of the Fighting Arts of the Orient.  As I had only my legs to rely on, my poor gown was quickly besmirched and torn, but my attackers soon measured their lengths upon the forest floor.  I am not ashamed to say that I was too squeamish to put an end to them, but I did leave them lying there in a stupour.  I freed my hands and ran to put as great a distance as possible between myself and them before they could become sensible, but I was lost.  Lost in the great expanse of Martin's Wood!

I wandered the Wood in hopes of finding some familiar landmark, but to no avail.  I had no hope of taking my bearing from the sun, for this last sen'night we have been beset upon by a thick grey fog which creeps in as evening draws near, and which seemed even more impenetrable in the woods.  Finally prudence took hold, and I stopped in a hollow, collected some quantity of wood and attempted to build a fire.  I still had my reticule if you can countenance it!  The ruffians had taken it, but before running, I collected it from one of the bodies as it lay there stupidly on the ground.  Inside the reticule was my Firelighter - the one with the novelty image of the pickled cucumber.  I had brought it purposely to show to Miss Catherine, as she had expressed a desire to see it.  If that seems to good to be true, you are nearly correct.  Try as I might, I could not start a fire.  I was at the point of weeping with frustration, when finally, Finally, the leaf mould caught and I was able to feed twigs of increasing size to the flames.  I was eventually able to build a large fire, and I was very grateful for the warmth, for my fingers had gone quite numb!  It occurred to me then that perhaps I could use the fire as some sort of signal, for dark had closed in by now.  And so I fed the fire until it was roaring furiously, and I had to keep well back.  By now I was hungry and thirsty and exhausted from the dragging about of so many large logs.  I had qualms that the Highwaymen might be attracted by the light of my beacon, but I weighed the risks and found that the benefits exceeded the dangers.

I was able to keep my fire blazing for some hours before I began to think that I must sleep, when who should come to my rescue but Alex Armstrong!  I don't know that I have ever been so happy to see another human in my entire life.  He kindly refrained from comment on my terribly disheveled state, and took me to his manor, where I was well fed and given a hot bath and a change of clothing.  Heaven!

The Armstrongs kept me until the next evening in order to ascertain that I was fully recovered, then brought me home in their carriage.  Your Father has taken a group of Armed Men to Martin's Wood in order to reclaim our own carriage.  He believes it can be salvaged.  Oh that the same could be said of my Blue Silk.

But now you will understand, and perhaps forgive my long silence.  I look forward to collecting you tomorrow! 

Much Love,

Mumsy


No comments:

Post a Comment