Tuesday, November 10, 2015

10th November

My Dearest Girl,

Today we are beset by much cold rain.  Your father has taken a chill and gone to bed, and I hope that your brother and sisters may be well, but I fear for Katrina and George as they were compelled to go out in this weather.  I have kept Daphne inside so that she, at least, will be safe.

Last night I received a forceful blow to the calf from a Man of Some Size (whilst chasing the infernal inflated ball) as well as a rather startling blow to the face (this by said ball.)  Your father and I did not return home until perhaps 11:30 at night!  Fortunately, today finds me only a little sore.  I believe I shall survive it.

Today, we received in the Post a package containing a remarkable material which, when placed in the oven, is said to diminish in size while simultaneously becoming both thicker and more durable.  One is meant to use it with the automatic printing press.  However, our press (or mayhap our inks) will not adhere to the surface, so I shall content myself by using our artist supplies on it.  Perhaps you would like to make some use of the stuff when next you are at home.

I continue to aid Xiao Xi and Xiao Hong in processing great quantities of laundry.  Truly, I know not how it all appeared so suddenly in need of washing.  I hear their cheerful songs throughout the day, but they have not yet repeated the phenomenon of yesterday.

Oh, I had not remembered to tell you (or perhaps I did in a separate communication) that I received some sad news regarding the New Butler. It seems that his previous employer is of less than honest repute.  I had received word from him of Sebastian's dispatchment, but whether or not The Butler has truly departed remains unclear.  I shall be devastated if I cannot get him, for word of his skill surpasses that of all others.

Today, Mrs Nesbitt (after some help from myself) is cooking a Glorious chicken soup.  (It seemed an appropriate supper for your father as he is convalescing.)   As she was occupied with that, Daphne and I took it upon ourselves to prepare a Potato Dish without the aid of dairy products.  Well, that is not quite the truth, for we discovered that the Cream of Mushroom soup which we used as an ingredient does, indeed, contain some milk, but the sour cream and cheese do not.  Is that not most shocking?  The dish turned out very well indeed, and we shall have to prepare it again this week end.  I enclose a picture of it here:


As you can see, it browned most satisfactorily around the edges, and I cannot find any fault with its flavour.  In fact, we both declared it to be delicious!  I believe it may become a staple for us this winter.

Daphne and I will soon make ourselves ready for our classes in the Fighting Arts of the Orient.  It is not a long ride, and I think we shall be safe from the elements inside the carriage, but I shall encourage your father to stay at home if he thinks of coming along.  I do not believe he will benefit from the exercise in the state he is in.  But with some rest and Eucalyptus Oil to clear his head, as well as the chicken soup for supper, I am convinced that he will recover quite rapidly.

Please check your other communications, for I asked Katrina to send you some information about a Coat which you may require for the winter.  I think it very pretty, but I am not certain whether it will suit your tastes.

I find myself looking forward to Holy Wednesday with much Anticipation.  It seems that this has been such a busy week already, and I have not been able to Write as I would like.  I hope you are well!  Please take care to guard yourself from the chill!

Much Love,

Mumsy





No comments:

Post a Comment